3 Displaced in Belle Haven Fire, 2 Pets Deceased

On Friday, June 9, at 8:31 p.m., units from the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department were dispatched for a house fire in the 2300 blk of Windsor Road in the Belle Haven area of Fairfax County.

Units arrived on the scene of a two-story single-family home with an active fire in the basement. Crews swiftly initiated firefighting operations and extinguished the fire. There were no civilian or firefighter injuries reported. Unfortunately, two household pets were discovered deceased.

Two occupants were home at the time of the fire. A smoke alarm alerted the occupants to the fire and they were able to safely exit the structure.

Fire Investigators determined the fire was accidental in nature. The fire originated in the basement. The cause was an overheated surge protector that ignited the furniture.

Three occupants were displaced due to the fire. Damages as a result of the fire were approximately $100,000.