Fairfax Police Shoot and Kill Shoplifting Suspect

At approximately 6:30 p.m. Feb. 22,, officers from the Tysons Urban Team special unit of Fairfax County Police Department responded to a theft at Nordstrom at 8075 Tysons Corner Center. Store security reported a man was concealing designer sunglasses. An officer observed the man exiting the store near a parking garage. As he exited the store, an anti-theft alarm was activated as he fled.

Timothy McCree Johnson, 37, of Washington D.C., ran through the parking garage, across the parking lot and into a wooded area while the officers gave him commands to get on the ground. Officers continued into the wood line giving verbal commands. While in the wooded area, two officers discharged their firearms striking Johnson in the chest one time. Officers immediately rendered aid until Fairfax County Fire and Rescue arrived. Johnson was taken to an area hospital where he was pronounced deceased. 

The officers involved in the shooting have been identified as a 7-year veteran and an 8-year veteran both assigned to the Tysons Urban Team. As per department policy, the officers have been placed on restricted duty status, pending the outcome of the criminal and administrative investigation. 

The criminal investigation into the use of force is being conducted by the FCPD Major Crimes Bureau. The body worn camera footage will be released within 30 days in accordance with the department’s guidelines. The results of the criminal investigation will be presented to the Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney.

The FCPD Internal Affairs Bureau is conducting an administrative investigation in accordance with policy, along with an independent review by the Police Auditor Richard Schott. 

The names of the officers will be released within 10 days and in accordance with the Department’s policy.

The Fairfax County NAACP released a statement about the shooting, printed in full on page 8. “The family and the community have many questions about how suspicion of a non-violent act turns into a foot chase, the discharge of a firearm by police, and another senseless death,” the NAACP statement said.

This information released by FCPD is based on preliminary investigative findings.